Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Dead Lion

This post is for those that do not believe they are not "good" enough or "talented" enough to do a work for the Kingdom of God.

Ecclesiastes 9:4
4 Anyone who is among the living has hope - even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!



I remember at 12 years old receiving the call to preach and 100% knowing that I was called to minister.  I also remember being scared to death and it being 6 years before I stood up before a group of people to preach.  I was scared to death for 6 years.  I ran from it.  I did whatever I could to try to escape that call.  I hid behind playing music, being involved in my church drama team, etc.  I used every excuse in the book.  I am too young.  No one will want to hear what I have to say.  I will not be able to preach the way I want to preach.  There are so many preachers that are better than me!!

Finally accepting the call to minister has been challenging at times but has also been one of the most rewarding things in my life!  God has allowed me to have an impact on people.  There are still ministers much more talented than me.  There are many, many preachers that are better than I am.  But I am working for God and enjoying every minute of it!

Ecclesiastes 9:4 talks about a live dog and a dead lion.  The lion is a proud animal.  It is powerful.  A gifted fighter and hunter.  A roar that can be heard for miles around!  The king of the jungle. Then you have the dog.  I picture a stray dog with its hair matted.  Fleas. A dog that no one wants.  That is not doing any good for anyone.  No benefit.  Scared and skittish.

This verse has been on my mind for weeks!  It is a verse of hope.  It is a verse that contradicts our thinking.  We look at those that are better and more talented than us.  That are better looking.  The people that are gifted and seem to have it all going for them.  Then we take a look at ourselves in the mirror.  We are often times our worst critic!  We do not see what God sees.  What is being said in this verse?  A live dog is better off than a dead lion.  On the food chain, so to speak, the Lion is at the top.  The dog isn't.  The lion is the king of the jungle.  The dog isn't.  But what good can a dead lion do?  None.  A live dog is better than a dead lion because it is alive!!!  God just needs a willing, obedient vessel that he can use!  You do not have to be the most talented!  You do not have to be the best looking! You just have to be willing to step out in faith and allow God to use you!!

My prayer is that this comes across the same way that I feel it inside.  I want to encourage you to not look at the lions in your life as restrictions.  You are alive!!  Step up to the plate and accept the call of God on your life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment